A passport is the most important document required for travelling abroad. At one point in time, issuing a passport was a tedious task and most people would rely on travel agents for the same.
The agents’ charges for getting you the newborn baby’s passport were even higher. Thanks to the revolutionary measures and extensive digitalization, it is now much easier to obtain a passport in India.
So, here are the steps for obtaining a passport for newborn baby in India:
At the time of your baby’s birth, generally, the hospital will give you a form regarding the relevant details that will be sent to government bodies to obtain the birth certificate. So, you don’t have to worry too much about the procedure. However, in some cases you might need to apply yourself:
Birth Certification Procedure
- Obtain the registration form from the nearest registrar (or local body).
- Fill it out and submit to the nearest local authority like the municipality corporate office or panchayat that will do the proper verification with the hospital.
- Check the registration details of the certificate with the nearest district statistical office.
Assuming that you have filled all the information correctly the birth certificate should be issued within 2-4 weeks.
Documents Needed For Birth Certificate
- Parents’ ID Proofs (Birth Certificate, Aadhaar or Passport is also accepted)
- Parents’ Marriage Certificate
- Proof of birth letter from the hospital
Tips: Be very careful with the information, names and spellings as they can present a major issue at the time of applying for the passport. So, once you receive the birth certificate match the information and spellings carefully and apply immediately if there is any discrepancy.
Obtaining Passport for Newborn Baby in India
Due to high-end digitalization, obtaining a passport has now become a lot easier. Besides, the passport department has also revolutionized the overall system aimed at offering the utmost convenience to the applicants.
Applying On Passport Seva Website
Go to the Passport Seva Website to apply for the baby’s passport. If you belong to a small town you might not find the exact Passport Seva Kendra of your town in the drop-down list. No worries, you can use a big town in your neighbourhood.
For example, if you belong to Pilani, Rajasthan, and don’t see that town’s name in the menu you can use Jaipur.
After registering on the passport website portal, log in with the Registered ID and click “Apply for a fresh passport”. Fill in the required details and submit.
The website also offers the facility for online payment of the fees. You would need to print the Application Receipt that would be required to enter inside the passport office.
On the website, you will find several annexure forms for parents. Take the printout of the one that applies to you. Here are the details of relevant annexure forms:
Annexure H is to be used in the following situations:
- If both parents are visiting the Passport Seva Kendra.
- If one parent is abroad then Annexure H can be filled and sent by him/her. It should be attested by the Indian Mission of that country. Alternatively, Annexure G can also be also considered.
- Only single parent is alive.
Annexure G is to be used in the following situations:
- Only one parent visits the office. The form should be accompanied by a nonjudicial stamp paper attested by the judicial or executive magistrate.
- If one parent lives abroad and could not send Annexure H.
- If a parent submitting the form is unable to get the consent of another parent due to intentional or situational reasons.
Annexure C is to be used in the following situations:
- Details of the whereabouts of one parent aren’t known.
- Parents are separated (Not divorced).
If only one parent holds a valid passport then he/she needs to have his spouse’s name endorsed on it. If it isn’t already endorsed then he/she needs to reapply for the passport and endorse the spouse’s name in personal particulars.
Likewise, if one parent is non-Indian he/she has to declare that he/she doesn’t have objection applying for India passport and they have not applied for baby’s passport in any other country.
Appointing a Guardian
If both the parents reside abroad they can make a joint sworn affidavit to appoint a local guardian who can submit applications. The affidavit should be duly attested by the Indian mission in that country.
If the guardian is not one of the grandparents of the child, an affidavit with two responsible persons is also required.
At the Passport Seva Office
The Passport Seva office has a modern ambience and offers an array of convenient services. The staff is courteous and helpful. They especially take care of specific categories like elders; minors etc. and ensure that they should not face unnecessary inconvenience during the process.
Requirements For Newborn Baby Passport
- Relevant annexure form
- Application receipt
- One colour photograph pasted on the form is required. Black and white photograph are not acceptable. It should have a white background.
- Original and photocopy of parent’s passports
- Marriage certificates are not required, but taking them with you won’t harm either
- The fees are to be payable at the office. A normal passport costs Rs. 1000 while Tatkal costs Rs. 3000. Take sufficient extra money along with you.
Upon producing your application receipt and going inside, you will be given a file with a token number on it. In the waiting area, your number will be displayed on the monitor telling where to go.
For minors’ passports there is a simple 3 steps procedure:
Step 1: Here your originals and baby’s fingerprints will be taken by the official. It takes up to 10 minutes. It is the most vital step as your child’s passport will be made on the originals provided here. Ensure the information accuracy and spelling as the baby’s passport will be based on the originals provided.
Step 2: Additional verification by the government employee is done and within 5 minutes the pressure is completed just the cross verification.
Step 3: The passport issuing official will only ask for your originals and frees you within 4 minutes. After that go to the exit section and give them your token number and application receipt. They will give you an acknowledgement receipt that will tell you minor things like whether verification is required or not.
Time Duration and Fees
- A new passport generally takes 30 days to reach while Tatkal applications need 1-7 days.
- The normal passport fee for minors is Rs. 1000 while the Tatkal fee is Rs. 3000.
Tracking Passport Applications
- There is a national call centre in 17 Indian languages. Round-the-clock email or mobile apps can also be used to know about the update.
- On the Passport Seva website click on the appropriate passport type and enter 15 digit file number printed on the acknowledgement letter at the right corner and enter the birth date then click track status.
- All the communication would be done through email so double-check the email address. Also, keep on checking the mail regularly to check the update.
This article was originally published on NRICafe.com and moved to NRIGuides.com in 2022.
Copyright © NRIGuides.com – Full or partial reproduction of this article in any language is prohibited.
You May Also Like
- Indian Passport Lost: What To Do
- How To Change Name on Indian Passport
- What To Do if Your Indian Passport is Damaged